Friday, January 20, 2012

Reading Through the Centuries Project: Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

Because I am not in the same mood every time I want to read, I often have two books going at the same time. In my last post I wrote about beginning The Crocodile on the Sandbank . I am also reading, for the times I am in a different mood, Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, which is one of the free books that came preloaded on my e-reader.
Perhaps one might not think these books are different enough to suit different moods since they are both mysteries and they are both set in the Victorian era, but the writing and mood of the stories are very different and written by, and in the voice of, different genders.

I recently saw the second Hollywood installment of Sherlock Holmes (my opinion? thoroughly entertaining), so I guess when I was perusing the preloads, that particular work stood out.

The above picture of A Study In Scarlet shows the cover of Beeton's Christmas Annual, in which the character of Sherlock Holmes first appeared in 1887. Although each story was published by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle at a different time, I am using the date of 1894 for the purposes of my Read Through the Centuries Project as this was the date that the entire collection was published as The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. This collection of Sherlock Holmes stories will serve to check off the 1890's for my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment